Thursday, October 29, 2009

Review "The Lost Symbol"

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown NY: Doublday, 2009, ISBN: 978-0-385-50422-5

Dan Brown is a master story teller. Initially I had doubts about how he might combine Washington DC & Masonic elements into an intriguing story. Yet he did. Within a few short moments of opening the cover to his book, the Lost Symbol, and beginning my reading of his novel, I was hooked.


He introduces characters gradually with just enough spice to make you want to know them better. He adds puzzles to the plot. To appreciate and enjoy the puzzles that he adds, you don’t have to be a mathematician (i.e. totally abstract, totally a cerebral construct). The puzzles are made up of human elements that don’t seem to add up when your senses first experience them, yet they pull you further into the story line. They draw you into human relationships and behavior with the spice of historical elements. The author works tension into the puzzles by developing contrast not only with character personality development but with the development of their motivation and their goals. The time frame of the story is set by an impending disaster that will happen at a certain proximate time if the lost symbol falls into the wrong hands. The tension between positive outcome and negative outcome builds until the very end of the story.
 Once I finished the Lost Symbol, my musings began to imagine the next adventure that Dan Brown might be using his artistic and creative talents to create for us.


A side benefit of reading the Lost Symbol for me was its help in facilitating my healing. My son brought me the book while I was in a cardiac care unit recovering from a major heart attack. The enjoyment of the story of the Lost Symbol helped me to focus my emotional and intellectual energies into a positive framework which I believe was a valuable asset in my recovery.


The Lost Symbol is definitely a must read in my opinion. Enjoy!!!

Copyright 2009 Ralph M Ferraro
Rmf

2 comments:

  1. You just gave enough of the book to evoke your reader to get a copy. But what is most valuable is that it helped facilitate your healing. That gets me all the more to find out what was in the book which brought you positive healing energy. It must be one hell of a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are confronted with a problem, e.g. a medical condition, there is a great risk that you will focus on the negative energy possibilities, in this case, heart damage, potential for death, etc. A good book by a master story teller, such as "The Lost Symbol,” has the ability to shift your focus. In identifying with the main characters and their adventure, your emotional energy shifts into a positive energy field. Enjoying the development of the story and its characters facilitates directing your energy to healing and expecting a positive outcome. Once you are in the positive energy field, it is much easier to focus your energy on a 2nd positive energy track, namely, to relax, and allow your body to heal and get stronger. If you are worried, fearful or expect a negative outcome on a feeling or vibrational level, you will not move toward healing.

    ReplyDelete