Friday, July 8, 2016

I was set for taking some fabulous fireworks photos with my new Pentax … or so I thought.

My perspective was different this year. I was going to take the photos from a boat that I thought would be in the east river … or so I thought. 


As we headed out to sea on the "Pink Lady," the clouds were gathering.  Intermittent drizzle splashed us on the upper deck of the “Pink Lady.” The “Pink Lady” is approximately a 60 ft x 20 ft dinner / party boat. My friend and I were joined by a mother and her son. They were great companions. We shared some great conversation while we enjoyed good food.

I was able to get some great shots of the Verrazano Bridge as we passed underneath.  The clouds darkened. As we passed Coney Island, the drizzle alternated with heavy rain.

The "Pink Lady" held a steady course. The rain abated as we approached the Verrazano Narrows Bridge  

As we approached lower Manhattan, something seemed odd. We started to go up the Hudson, then circle below South Ferry. After a short while, it became clear the police boats were pushing all ships out of the east river. 



If my memory is correct in previous years, boats were allowed up the east river.  All of us were congregated South of South Ferry. It seemed there were many more boats waiting for the fireworks this year. 
Our captain skillfully maneuvered our ship. Several times he had to call out to small and large ships who were coming too close to our vessel. The  currents in the harbor appear to be very strong, so it is important to maintain maneuvering distance. It seemed as if the skipper of some of the other boats weren’t aware of proper safe distance needed between boats due to the strength of the current. Even though the sail boats were not under sail, they didn’t seem to know how to steer between vessels.  

The actual fireworks were pushed back till 21:35. 
Once the fireworks started, 

I realized that I had adjusted some of the camera settings incorrectly. 
This is what I discovered and learned:

  1. study camera
  2. practice setting at least one day before event
  3. Preset camera
  4. Review setting immediately before starting to photograph
  5. Evaluate shooting issues on the fly
  6. Make adjustments as you can
  7. Continue shooting. Be persistent

The results:










See more images of  our adventure on my Facebook page RmfTop Photography 
Please like my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment