Wednesday, June 22, 2016

To See or Not to See ~ Essence or Shell?

If you  are not willing to see 
more than is visible,
you  won’t see anything."


Ruth Bernhard quoted by 
Vincent Versace, a photographer, during his talk “Somewhere over the chromatic rainbow"
for Vincent's complete talk see   Somewhere over the chromatic rainbow

A long time ago, in school, I remember being taught about "faith." I didn't fully understand what "faith" was.

As I have grown, experienced my detours, my mistakes, my joy and my happiness, I now know what faith is ...

The visible is like the "masks," that Jung talks about. The visible is the external appearance of something. The mask is what we want to show to others, not necessarily the essence of who we are.
Any mask, no matter how benign, can cover the essence of who we are, cover the deeper beauty of what is. 

The essence of something is what is not visible, that is, not easily discerned by the eye alone. 
The essence is the vibrations that come to the eye, to our other senses. The essence is the energy that comes from beyond what is technically "visible." The essence vibrations are felt.

For many of us seeing is simply collecting external data and reacting. As I walk the streets of Manhattan, it seems the invisible is reacted to without knowing, without seeing the essence.

When I see many people in Manhattan, snapping pictures like crazy, I wonder what do they see? Do they see the essence, the beauty or are they digitalizing the shell?

What do you think about "seeing what is not visible?"

No comments:

Post a Comment