Friday, June 17, 2016

Photographing ~ Engagement & Enjoyment


 As a photographer I enjoy taking photographs. As a Clinical Social Worker   I help people find a way to become more deeply engaged in their life and mission. As both a social  worker and a photographer, I seek to focus people on beauty and joy. I help people see and experienced what is in front of them yet they don't see or are not experiencing.

Even in graduate school, I was not fond of clinical research or their methodologies.

I was very surprised to discover on both of my favorite photography websites, dpreview and imaging-resource, provided a link to a research article on photography, engagement and enjoyment.

I was even more surprised to discover that I enjoyed the article.
If you are a research geek, don't worry; the authors give important details on their thesis, their methodologies and their detailed research protocols. If you are a research geek, they provide enough info to get you excited about their research.

Despite the research details, the article was an interesting read. More important it provided important data about the benefits of photography, of actively taking photographs. It didn't matter whether you used a pro camera, a point & shoot or your cell phone. Taking photos provides significant benefits. They found that actively taking photographs, helps a person focus on what is unfolding before them, increases the engagement of a person with that which is before them and importantly helps the person enjoy the experience more.  
Their findings are not just a reflection of my bias of enjoying taking and sharing photos but indicate that all people who take pictures increase their engagement and their enjoyment of the experience.

I shared the article with a friend of mine - she already takes phone photos of her events. She became excited about the article and found the article reignite her interest in photography. She has decided to go deeper into photography.

Some professional photogaphers might be a little upset with the article. An aspiring professional photographer who I met at a business networking event, said the one problem they have as a professional is controlling the crowd. He seemed upset that "amateur" or "family" photographers might interfere with his grand "professional" image making. I  believe the research proves the silliness of his position. Everyone is more engaged and having a better time when they photograph. I would bet, that each photograph taken by everyone trying to capture the scene or event would be different.

When taking a photograph of some key people at the Kumon Race for the Cure ( I was one of their official volunteer photographers), I found myself surrounded by about six photographers on my right and six on my left. They were all waiting for me to set up the shot. I was amused and glad that they were also taking photographs. I didn't feel they were competing with me. I am sure that each of our photographs would be slightly different ... each one of us were focusing on the element of the scene that was attractive to us. Each photograph would give a different engagement with the subject and a different perspective on the people who were in the photo. Everyone who  was taking the photograph was involved with the subject. How beautiful.

The research of Kristin, Gal and Alixandra gave us an insight into the joy of photography.

Check out their article. 
Do you accept the challenge to more actively use your camera phone or fancy camera to deepen your engagement? 
To deepen your joy?
If so let me know .

Authors
Diehi, Kristin      ~      Zauberman, Gal      ~      Barasch, Alixandra

Sources:

http:// dx.doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000055

From dpreview  www.dpreview.com

From Imaging-resource www.imaging-resource.com

Just a reminder that the 4th of July fireworks will be happening soon.
Get your camera ready and take photos.
About 1 week before the event, I will be posting some hints about taking firework photos on my blog.
I will share a teaser -
When taking fireworks photos it is possible to capture the fireworks display or
if can provide an opportunity to paint with light.
Which will you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment