Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Upside of the Downside ~ Part II


The Upside of the Downside (continued ~ Part II / III)

I finished my presentation but alas … The international speakers were the first part of the program. The waiting to see who would be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, began.
Toastmasters officers began with annoucements about the upcoming spring conference … Then … intermission … After the intermission, the second part of the contest began. A test speaker would give a speech and then several Toastmasters would compete to see who would give the best evaluation of the speaker. The winner of the international speech contest was still unknown. Once the evaluators speech contest concluded, the winners of both contests would be announced. For those of us competing in the international contest it seemed like a long time waiting for the news of who won. The third place winner was announced – not me. The second place winner was announced – not me. Finally the moment I was waiting for, the announcement of the first place winner – not me. I felt disappointed that I did not win first place. It was even more disappointing that I did not place in the top three. As the meeting broke up, several people approached me. One of my colleagues said, “this is the first time I heard you give a speech, I didn't know you were such a powerful speaker. I really liked your talk.” Several other toastmasters approached me and commented that they liked the ideas that I presented in my talk and the photographs that I used. It was nice to receive many positive responses to my talk but it was still disappointing not to win.
As we left, my friend offered to treat me to dinner. We went to one of my favorite restaurants, Jing. My friend Al, who we had hoped would be there had already left for the evening. The food was good, the conversation was good. I wondered as we ate, how to integrate not winning that evening into a positive experience. Although my feelings were not very low, they were quiet … feeling the experience and wondering how to proceed.
Part III will be posted on Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment