Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My interview by Margo Grant & Daria Gradusova concerning my exhibits at the International Arts Festival

Ralph Michael’s International Arts Festival Experience –
an interview by Margo Grant and Daria Gradusova
to be printed in the International Arts Festival newsletter and on the IAF website.

Article & PHOTOGRAPH © Ralph M. Ferraro, 2013, 2014, RmfTop@gmail.com

 1.    Was the IAF a good networking opportunity?
a.     The IAF was a mixed experience in regard to networking. The opening night on Central Park West and the opening night in Jersey City were great opportunities to meet both talented artists and visitors to the exhibit who enjoyed the artwork. After the grand opening at each event, the visitors were few and far between. Even the artists were not around most of the day.
2.    Did IAF in any way influence your career?
a.     The IAF was an exciting experience for me. I was very grateful to have my photographs chosen for the exhibit. I enjoyed talking to the fellow artists that were on display. I also enjoyed taking visitors through the gallery to see my photographs and the work of the other artists.
b.    The IAF experience definitely encouraged me to pursue my artistic passion without reservation.
3.    Did you enjoy the vibe of the event? 
The IAF produced two different types of vibes. 
a.     The first vibration was the excitement of being chosen and on display for all to see. The ability to share my art, my photographs with other artists and with the public was truly a joy. This positive vibration was exhilarating.
b.    The second vibration was the joy of showing visitors around the gallery and helping them to experience the various artists. It was a joy to see their attraction to the different works of art.
4.    Would you recommend this competition for emerging artists?
a.     I would definitely recommend this competition to any artist. When I submitted my works, I felt positive. I felt that I was offering works of value. I didn’t know for certainty that they would be chosen, but was very excited when I got the news that my photographs were chosen.
5.     Is there anything you would like to see/add in 2014 competition? Different media, maybe graphic design, maybe a technology piece?
a.     I would like to see workshops spaced throughout the exhibit time that would enable artists to talk about their art and challenge the attendees to discover the artist in themselves. Art, at its best, invites people to connect with the self-activating, self-creating personality that Maslow states each one of us have. Art is communication; it is being playful; it is being creative and brings out the unique best in each person. If each person connected with his or her creative, artistic side, the world would be a better place.
b.    I would like the exhibit to be longer at least a week and easily accessible by public transportation (especially in Manhattan). If it is going to be in another location like Jersey City, then better marketing, promotion and time (not August when people are on vacation) need to be implemented.
6.     What advise would you give to those who are submitting their work?
a.     Be playful
b.    Be in touch with your inner spirit
c.     Allow your unique qualities, your passion to emerge in each piece that you do.
d.    Do not be concerned about whether someone else would like or value your work. A woman who came to the exhibit said, “there is a lot of shit masquerading as art, but if the work is truly art it will speak to the soul of those allowing themselves to experience the work of art.”

e.     Do not attempt to imitate someone else (famous artist) or style (classic, avant-garde, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment